For a lot of people around the globe, the stencil artworks by British street art icon Banksy are the quintessence of politically influenced street art comedy. Whether the flower throwing anarchist, the peace symbol painting soldiers, or even the Child Drawing series, Banksy knows how to combine political statements with more or less subtle jokes…
Not long ago, the Twitter account Banksy Ideas was registered, describing itself as The R&D dept at Banksy HQ and developing parodying ideas for new Banksy-like stencil artworks. Here’s some of my favorites:
- Stencil of a line of office workers throwing themselves off a cliff like lemmings. Enjoy your Monday, yeah?
- Stencil of Mark Zuckerberg feeding his users into a sausage machine. A fat New York broker sits at the other end, scoffing them.
- Stencil of Bono writing a new song about Africa. But he’s run out of notepaper, so he’s writing it on a million dollar banknote.
- Stencil of two Olympic runners in a relay race, yeah? But rather than passing a baton, they’re exchanging a can of coke.
- Pic of Argentinian protestors with “Give our land back” placards, yeah? In the background, Andean indigenous group, with same signs.
I’ll definitely keep following!